Thursday, May 21, 2015

Blues on the Way

These bluebird nestlings will soon fledge from their nest. The parents have been vigilant in caring for them, and they dive-bomb each time I check the nest. I am always glad when they do that as I approach the nest; it lets me know that they still have something to guard and care for.

Sadly, this was not the case with one of the other nestboxes. I found it odd that the male and female did not seem to spend a lot of time around the box. Despite this, five eggs did hatch in that box. However, one day, after some very hot and humid weather, I found all five nestlings dead. There were no signs of predation or insect infestation. It is possible only to guess at what happened. Did something happen to the mother? Did the excessive heat play a role in their demise? Were the parents too inexperienced to raise this brood? I can only record my observations and guess at what may have occurred. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment